Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
Hello everyone,

I`ve tried to build a BlueSaab 6.1 and I seem to have got close but so far don't have a working one.

So far, I`ve been able to solder it all together and have loaded on the software via the FTDI header.
I`ve held down BOOT0 and reboot, the Arm chip has accepted the software and I`ve read it back out to confirm.

When plugged into the car however, I only get the Red Power light and no other sign of life.

The car (2005 9-5) already had a CD Changer.  Do I need to Divorce this first?  When cycling through Sources using the Steering Wheel controls, only CD,Radio and Tape show.

I`ve re-flowed the soldering on the Arm chip twice now, but it's never changed it's behaviour.

At present, I don't have a JTAG header soldered on.  Is there any other way to debug it?

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

Seth
Administrator
It sounds like the car can’t see the module; no divorcing is necessary; that info is stored in the cd changer not the car. If the bluesaab is working right then the car just sees it and it works right away.

So I would look at the canbus section if the microcontroller has code and is working correctly.

Does the Bluetooth part work?

Seth

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 08:39 not_me_really [via BlueSaab Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I`ve tried to build a BlueSaab 6.1 and I seem to have got close but so far don't have a working one.

So far, I`ve been able to solder it all together and have loaded on the software via the FTDI header.
I`ve held down BOOT0 and reboot, the Arm chip has accepted the software and I`ve read it back out to confirm.

When plugged into the car however, I only get the Red Power light and no other sign of life.

The car (2005 9-5) already had a CD Changer.  Do I need to Divorce this first?  When cycling through Sources using the Steering Wheel controls, only CD,Radio and Tape show.

I`ve re-flowed the soldering on the Arm chip twice now, but it's never changed it's behaviour.

At present, I don't have a JTAG header soldered on.  Is there any other way to debug it?

Frank.

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/Some-advice-for-beginner-please-tp1649.html
To start a new topic under BlueSaab Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from BlueSaab Forum, click here.
NAML
NC, USA

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
Hi Seth,

Thanks for your reply.

No, the bluetooth seems to show no sign of life either when plugged into the car or when I provide 12v to the power pins via a harness I got from a scrap car.

It must be something I`m doing wrong, I`ve now completed a second module (we have 2 9-5's and a 9-3) and it behaves in exactly the same manner.  It shows up in the programmer when BOOT0 is used and accepts the flash (I assume that means at least Power, Ground and the 2 data pins from the FTDI connector are working)

I`m using the STM32CubeProgrammer software in Windows.  When I select a file to write, the address is set to 0x0 and the size is set to 0x400 with a data width of 32-bit.  Is this correct?

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

Seth
Administrator
Honestly, Karlis knows how to program these things, I’m just the hardware guy.

Are you at least getting the power led to turn on? If you have a multimeter, you can check for 3.3v on VCC pins.

Hopefully Karlis has more help on the programming part.

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/Some-advice-for-beginner-please-tp1649p1651.html
NAML
NC, USA

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
Hi Seth,

Yes, the power LED lights up but that's the only LED that does.  I`m not sure if the others are supposed to light up yet (no bluetooth devices connected)

I`m getting 3.19v when powered from the FTDI connector and 3.20v when powered in the car.

The programming size seems to be a red-herring.  It only seems to apply to the HEX display window.  It always seems to write the full 83KB file to the chip.

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
Hi Mr Hardware Guy!!

Does it matter what way round the timing crystal goes?  I couldn't see any obvious markings.

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

Seth
Administrator
Nope the resonators are symmetrical, hence no markings (cuz you can’t put them on wrong). But make sure they were soldered down properly and there aren’t any shorts (anywhere on the pcb actually).

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/Some-advice-for-beginner-please-tp1649p1654.html
To start a new topic under BlueSaab Forum, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from BlueSaab Forum, click here.
NAML
NC, USA

Re: Some advice for beginner please

Karlis
Administrator
My recommendation for flashing the module under MS Windows is to use Flasher-STM32 tool by STMicro. STM32CubeProgrammer might have written the flash file in different memory space so bootloader can't reach it. The correct address from which to start the write is 0x800000. That's flash.

The fact that only power LED turns on when module is connected to the car, means that firmware is not running and is not booting up CAN, nor Bluetooth module.

Hope this helps.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
Thanks for you help.

I`ve been able to flash the bin using Flasher-STM32 as suggested but it made no difference to the one board that I`ve tried it with.

I think I`ve had enough for the night now, I might try again tomorrow.

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

homerisback
Maybe an obvious idea but have you tried to push reset button after plugging it into car ?
I had this issue at first plugging with v6.x BlueSaabs, they needed a reset to start properly
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
Hi Karlis,

Just to confirm:- the LED's next to the bluetooth module should light up and the bluetooth should start when the I supply power, even when not connected to the car?

Would I be able to program the chip if the resonator wasn't working?  I`m not 100% happy with the soldering, so I`m just trying to work out if that is working or not.

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
I`m pretty sure I`ve done that, but I`m willing to give it another go!

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

Seth
Administrator
No, without the resonator you can’t talk to the chip at all; no programming or any code running.

I know the resonator is small so it’s easy to get a solder short. You can take up close, CLEAR photos of your pcb if you want us to take a look.

Seth

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/Some-advice-for-beginner-please-tp1649p1665.html
NAML
NC, USA

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
Hi Seth,

Yeah, I`ve realised that now!

I took one off, tried - no success.

Put it back on, powered up - Now I`ve got a Disco coming out of LED1 !!!!  Yay!

I then did the same to my other BlueSaab - It's still dead!

Never mind, for now I`ve got one almost working bluesaab.  Still no Bluetooth, but I`ve got messages on UART2 and when plugged into the car, I get BlueSAAB V6 message on the SID.

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
I`ve now followed the traces from the bluetooth module to the STM chip and reflowed those.

On my bench, I then had BlueSaab v6 show up on bluetooth, but failed to connect.

I then thought I`d try it in the car, but the bluetooth never showed up.

I'm beginning to think that all of my problems are related to the soldering on the STM chip.

I used my hot air gun to do the resonator (which I now think was always working), and I think that reflowed that side of the STM chip.

I think I`m getting closer to a working BlueSaab!

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

Karlis
Administrator
One more thing you should try - when you connect the module to the car, make sure that:

1. LED1 starts doing disco
2. Once you see that, open your phone's Bluetooth settings and pair to BlueSaab.

I believe the issue you are seeing is because RN52 is programmed to go to sleep if it doesn't see any device for X seconds.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
Hi Guys,

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

Following Karlis' advice,  I had to reset the BlueSaab on my bench a few times as the timeout seems very short.

I noticed that The "BlueSaab v6" bluetooth seems to disappear if I`m not quick enough and also if not quick enough, my phone reports "pairing rejected" but in the end I got the timing right and it paired.

I then went out to the car and it connected and worked straight away.

Now, my next question...

Is there a manual?  I`ve seem some posts regarding some of the radio buttons, i was just wondering if all the info is available in one place?

The steering wheel volume control works fine (I imagine this is the radio volume not the bluesaab audio though) but I seems to have issues witht the seek buttons and I`m not sure what Nxt is supposed to do (i think it pauses)

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

homerisback
Good news !
I suggest you to have a look here, Karlis detailed everything about BlueSaab.
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
Thanks homerisback, that's exactly what I needed!

I`ll head back out to the car and see if the steering wheel controls work properly.

Frank.

Re: Some advice for beginner please

not_me_really
OK, bit of an update.

My steering wheel SEEK problems seem to be caused by VLC on my Android phone.  I imagine that it's not responding to the Bluetooth controls properly.  I switched to my phones built it "Music" program and it is skipping tracks like it should.

I still seem to have some issues with the buttons on the IHU though. ie, button 1 is supposed to turn the RN52 Volume up - it disconnects the phone.  Button 4 is supposed to lower the RN52 volume - it appears to do nothing.  Button 6 disconnects the phone like it's supposed to do.

However, none of this matters.  I have a Bluesaab V6 that does exactly what I want it to do!

Now to sort the other one I was working on....

Frank.
12