Show your saab/modules

sloth
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
9-5 Estate MY2004/Aero/Glacier Blue/AS2

Re: Show your saab/modules

Seth
Administrator

NC, USA

Re: Show your saab/modules

Karlis
Administrator

2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Show your saab/modules

sloth
What's the ethernet for? :)

I used an Ethernet cable for handling steering wheel button control on an old 3.5mm (wired) version of the module. I've kept it for now. Maybe some day I'll find some good use for it.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Show your saab/modules

homerisback
As my Cab is actually drying from the heavy rain we are having, I don't have any picture in car yet...
But I did this tuning to the BlueSAAB boxes with my father in law's EGX-20 engraver, just missing the EPC part number

Isn't it classy ?
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: Show your saab/modules

Seth
Administrator
that is awesome :D
NC, USA

Re: Show your saab/modules

Pilkerton
Mounted using an existing hole situated near the antenna assembly.

  • Model: Saab 9-3 (9400)
  • Model Year: 2000
  • Body type: 5-door (5D) hatchback
  • Other: Stock CD player only, no CD changer installed Blue Saab Version: PCB v3.3a mounted in trunk near the antenna

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    Karlis
    Administrator
    That's some really nice solution, Pilkerton! How the heck did you manage to get those bolts behind that metal plate?! :) I guess patience is a virtue...

    Did you put something underneath the module so it doesn't resonate on vibrations from the body?
    2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    Pilkerton
    I haven't, but that's a good idea - I just threw on a couple of lock washers from the junk bin as a temporary solution, but maybe a square piece of rubber gasket material would be help. I'm sure this won't be the last time I'll be messing with it.

    I did not take your suggestion (I think it was you) of simply feeding the CDC cable through a hole cut in the liner, but perhaps I should. If there was a cheaper source of connectors, I'd build an extender cable in a heartbeat.

    BTW, the noise I initially had in the right audio channel abated somewhat after I:
    • Inspected the connections and noticed I hadn't soldered the top side GND pads at the connector, and
    • Removed the head unit, sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner, and performed a few vigorous plugging/unplugging cycles

    There still remains a bit of right channel noise, but it's now "within acceptable limits".
  • Model: Saab 9-3 (9400)
  • Model Year: 2000
  • Body type: 5-door (5D) hatchback
  • Other: Stock CD player only, no CD changer installed Blue Saab Version: PCB v3.3a mounted in trunk near the antenna

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    Seth
    Administrator
    Looks nice :) I wonder though, if being that close to metal, if that will help or hurt your signal strength/reception? I know some people have mentioned that if their phone is in their pocket, they'll get dropped audio from the bluetooth signal having trouble going through so many obstacles.

    I'm lazy, and I remove my module a lot, but eventually I plan on mounting it to the carpet, off the trunk floor, so it won't get damaged by any cargo moving around...
    NC, USA

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    Pilkerton
    I personally have not had any problems with my iPhone 5S dropping out or failing to pair/reconnect, but then again I tend to keep the phone in a vent mount on the dash (similar to the one Karlis uses, but perhaps poorer quality).

    Something I just remembered: the RN52 datasheet recommends keeping the antenna portion of the module unobstructed. I don't know if you have a ground plane underneath that area, but might it affect performance? The Sparkfun RN52 breakout board has the antenna portion kinda hanging off the edge.
  • Model: Saab 9-3 (9400)
  • Model Year: 2000
  • Body type: 5-door (5D) hatchback
  • Other: Stock CD player only, no CD changer installed Blue Saab Version: PCB v3.3a mounted in trunk near the antenna

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    Seth
    Administrator
    there's no ground plane under the antenna; i followed the datasheet's recommendations (except for having the antenna hang off the pcb, part). There is an exposed ground around the edge of the entire pcb, minus the edge where the antenna is, on v3.3a pcb (I don't think I ever released v3.3, so I just called v3.3a --> v3.3). AFAIK, this ground edge hasn't affected performance/reception; it's strictly for helping with handling the pcb by hand and ESD (not sure if it actually helps, but can't hurt, and at one time I thought I had fried some stuff with ESD).
    NC, USA

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    Nickhe
    Anyone got any recommendation and picture how to ground it properly ? :) I cant seem to find a good enough bult too fit the cable too ground it

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    Karlis
    Administrator
    I used a mount point just behind of upholstery. There is one bolt that is placed conveniently for CDC wiring harness to reach.
    2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    Trionic Seven
    sbt

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    sbt
    OK, just built v5.0:

    Here's the grey Saab:
    2001 9-3

    And here's the BlueSaab:

    The unit:
    BlueSaab v5.0 as built

    On the back, added some velcro:
    Mounting velcro

    Installed. I was able to delete the old CDC unit and put in the optional storage bin; great for beer or other wet things:
    Installed in boot behind storage bin

    Cheers,
    Sam.
    9³ 5D MY02 - Stålgrå, AS3; iOS 16.1; BlueSaab v5.0-p1+Amp v1.1, SAAB-CDC v4.1 with mods
    sbt

    Re: Show your saab/modules

    sbt
    Update: added amp shield v1.1:

    Back of shield:

    Back of Amp Shield v1.1
    9³ 5D MY02 - Stålgrå, AS3; iOS 16.1; BlueSaab v5.0-p1+Amp v1.1, SAAB-CDC v4.1 with mods
    12