How can I activate aptX for RN52

tohomas
Hi guys, For now, I started to BlueSaab V6.1 I do some soldering on.
But something caught my attention.
I want to enable the RN52 aptX feature
The license fee is mentioned for this, but I could not reach any results.
Does anyone know about this topic?
I want to pay the license fee.

Thanks for help.

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

Karlis
Administrator
Hello,

Hmm...isn't aptX a codec certain hardware manufacturer either supports or not? What I mean by this, it should be up to the hardware manufacturer (Microchip) to license this codec from Qualcomm and pay license fee per the number of units sold.

From the end users perspective it should be the case of both devices audio source (Phone, tablet, etc.) and audio sink (RN52) to negotiate what codec to be used when.

Maybe I'm missing something...
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

tohomas
Hello Karlis, thank you for you are the answer.

Don't we, as end-users have the ability to obtain a license?
RN52 supports aptX features, you must know that.
I don't know what I have to do to get a license.
For now I need to get a license for 2 pieces maybe more...

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

Karlis
Administrator
I don't think an end user has to/can obtain a license unless you want to sell a product.

For example, say you buy Bose noise canceling headphones. Even though they support aptX, once you have bought them, you as an end user don't have to obtain a separate license from Qualcomm in order to use aptX on that device. Bose takes care of it and you have paid for it already. Same as with your phone.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

Seth
Administrator
I don’t think aptX is available to us (the end user), especially since the bluesaab module doesn’t use the RN52APT-I module; see this
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/RN52%20Firmware%201.16%20Release%20Notes.pdf
NC, USA

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

Karlis
Administrator
Thanks Seth!

Indeed in this case it looks like Microchip doesn't handle licensing (as weird as it is). From release notes, I recon the licensing would mean that upon making a payment, Microchip enables this codec on a certain batch in factory. And knowing Microchip they won't do that if the size of batch is < 2M units. :(
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

tohomas
Thank you so much for your responses.
so soldering the joints with cable what if we use another alternative audio module?
which Bluetooth module is more compatible for this job?
forgive me for my bad English

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

Karlis
Administrator
For audio signals, any other Bluetooth module "should" work. But that would be just it - raw audio signals. No controls, no track metadata, no pair/unpair - connect/disconnect control.

BlueSaab firmware is written in a way that it works with RN52 UART interface. It would not work with other Bluetooth module right out of the box without significant re-write.

I am looking at potential replacement for RN52. Microchip suggests going with BM64 as a replacement for RN52. Not sure this is the best solution. And also - audio over BLE is on the horizon.

Maybe something super low-power would be the next obvious upgrade to this project. Time will tell...
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

tohomas
Next time the Bluetooth module to be selected should support the following audio codecs.
aptXHD
LDAC
LHDC

So some Bluetooth module that supports these audio codecs Qualcomm QCC 3034 and csr8675.

So I will use the Feasycom fsc-bt1026 or fsc-bt806b.
But how to I can change the STM32F program?

Github is your friend. Look for "BlueSaab" repo. Feel free to fork it and use it to your hearts content. Most probably you will have to do some hardware changes as well as write up your own driver in order for STM32 to talk to FSC-BT1026 or FSC-BT806B.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

tohomas
Thank you for your answer Karlis.
I give you gift Feasycom FSC-bt1026 and FSC-bt806b, can you handle this job?
I love dealing with these things but there is no time...

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

Karlis
Administrator
Well, it's the same thing wherever you go - time is of value.

I'm working on BlueSaab as time permits. This, however, would be a totally new project to undertake.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

czabel
For what it's worth, Microchip does have a KnowledgeBase article about this very topic: https://microchipsupport.force.com/s/article/KB100496

To paraphrase here, the basic module that DigiKey sells does not have support for aptX or AAC.
To get the device(s) that do have support, you need to order a different part number:

RN52-I is the SBC version (what we are using)
RN52APT-I is the aptX version
RN52AAC-I is the AAC version
RN52ATC-I has both aptX and AAC.

From what I can tell, this is the only place these different versions are mentioned on Microchip's site, and only website has them listed, but with zero stock and a 13wk lead time. That is AVNET in case anyone is curious enough to try.

I believe this part would drop in if it could ever be found, and it would just require a small tweak to the RN52_SET_EXTENDED_FEATURES command, changing the 4 to a C to enable the aptX/AAC bit.

Would be a nice upgrade, but I don't see it happening, realistically.
2000 9-5 Aero 5-Speed

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

Seth
Administrator
I’m sure it would be a drop in part for us, but I do not see Microchip selling these in single quantities, either. I’m sure they’re special order, and most likely not $19 (prob way more to pay for the APTX licensing).

On Sat, Jul 11, 2020 at 16:03 czabel [via BlueSaab Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
For what it's worth, Microchip does have a KnowledgeBase article about this very topic: https://microchipsupport.force.com/s/article/KB100496

To paraphrase here, the basic module that DigiKey sells does not have support for aptX or AAC.
To get the device(s) that do have support, you need to order a different part number:

RN52-I is the SBC version (what we are using)
RN52APT-I is the aptX version
RN52AAC-I is the AAC version
RN52ATC-I has both aptX and AAC.

From what I can tell, this is the only place these different versions are mentioned on Microchip's site, and only website has them listed, but with zero stock and a 13wk lead time. That is AVNET in case anyone is curious enough to try.

I believe this part would drop in if it could ever be found, and it would just require a small tweak to the RN52_SET_EXTENDED_FEATURES command, changing the 4 to a C to enable the aptX/AAC bit.

Would be a nice upgrade, but I don't see it happening, realistically.
2000 9-5 Aero 5-Speed

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/How-can-I-activate-aptX-for-RN52-tp1609p1684.html
To start a new topic under Firmware, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Firmware, click here.
NAML
NC, USA

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

tohomas
Thank you for you are answer Karlis.
I started making preparations for a new project.
In the new project, canceling the cassette player unit and placing the Bluetooth unit in that area.
My goal is to make the Ldac audio codec request a high signal connection.
For Ldac sound quality, the bluetooth signal must be high. Otherwise, the sound quality will be worse.
So the microphone will be easy to install.
I also want to make the steering buttons active.
but I still haven't found a suitable module for our spec supporting Ldac.
I want to get your ideas for this project.

There is not much difference between aptX and SBC audio codec for high sound quality.
I would recommend Ldac and aptX HD.

Well, with LDAC being another proprietary codec (developed by Sony), wouldn't it also increase project expenses exponentially, just to cover licensing fees?
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: How can I activate aptX for RN52

tohomas
Karlis I'm sorry for being late.

https://tr.aliexpress.com/item/4000711240578.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.698b2e0eJDJpik
I found this on aliexpress and there are many nodules like this.
Ldac is now open source.
There are many similar modules and it is easier to procure.