Functions currently supported by the software

Functions currently supported by the software

Karlis
Defaults

*) When a new device is added to RN52 PDL (Paired Device List), basically till now RN52 "wasn't aware of such device", the volume gain is set to default of 11 out of 15.
*) When entering CDC mode (pressing of CD/RDM button twice on IHU) the RN52 bluetooth module will attempt to connect to the last device it was connected to.
*) When a successful bluetooth connection has been established between RN52 and audio source (e.g. iPhone), the RN52 is instructed to turn on the volume gain to max via SS,0F command.
*) When turning the ignition, IHU off or switching away from CDC mode on IHU (may it be Radio or Tape), the RN52 will disconnect from the last device it was connected to.

Buttons on 9-3s

*) NXT button on steering wheel -> "Play/Pause"
*) SRC+ button on steering wheel -> "Next Track"
*) SRC- button on steering wheel -> "Previous Track"
*) SEEK+ button long press on IHU -> "Force RN52 to go into discoverable mode"
*) SEEK- button long press on IHU -> "Force RN52 to go into non-discoverable/connectable"
*) Button "1" on IHU -> "Turn RN52 volume up by one level"
*) Button "4" on IHU -> "Turn RN52 volume down by one level"
*) Button "2" on IHU -> "Turn RN52 volume to max (send SS,0F command)"
*) Button "3" on IHU -> "Reconnect to the last known device"
*) Button "6" on IHU -> "Disconnect from the last known device"

Buttons on 9-5s

*) NXT button on steering wheel -> "Play/Pause"
*) SRC+ button on steering wheel -> "Next Track"
*) SRC- button on steering wheel -> "Previous Track"
*) SEEK+ button press on IHU -> "Next Track"
*) SEEK- button press on IHU -> "Previous Track"
*) Long press of SEEK button in the middle on IHU till one beep -> "Force RN52 to go into discoverable mode"
*) Further holding down SEEK button in the middle on IHU till the second beep -> "Force RN52 to go into non-discoverable/connectable"
*) Long press of CD/RDM button on IHU -> "Force RN52 to increase the volume gain by one step"
*) Button "1" on IHU -> "Turn RN52 volume up by one level"
*) Button "4" on IHU -> "Turn RN52 volume down by one level"
*) Button "2" on IHU -> "Turn RN52 volume to max (send SS,0F command)"
*) Button "3" on IHU -> "Reconnect to the last known device"
*) Button "6" on IHU -> "Disconnect from the last known device"

I'll keep this list updated as new functions/fixes come in.

Let me know if you have any questions.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

Plexx
I have a 2004 Saab 9-5 with NAV screen.
Do you know how this affects the control of the chip?

They only physical buttons I have on the is the VOL + -, SOURCE, NAV, SCREEN and ONOFF.
I have no other real buttons to press.
All are on the touch screen.

//BjornE
SAAB 9-5 Aero, -04

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

Karlis
Administrator
I don't know how this code would behave on a IHU with NAV. It would be nice to test it out. I would assume that the information put on CAN bus for these buttons is the same as for the "NAV-less" IHUs. Famous last words, of course... :)
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

Sandwer
2004 is a kenwood unit. The whole audio unit, including the cd changer (where the bluesaab unit connects) is different - so you can't use this solution to get Bluetooth.  But there are kenwood add-ins that sort-of work to give you aux in capability, and other stuff with that nav unit. The kenwood keg, for example, or the iPod connector work. The Bluetooth boxes offered by kenwood don't work.

I started to look at merging/adapting the bluesaab and kenwood stuff but it's a bit of a faff....

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

Plexx
That was kind of bad news.
I have to double check what exactly is installed in my car.

But if it is as sandwer say I guess I have to look for other solutions.
SAAB 9-5 Aero, -04

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

tomzuu
Hi there!

Any news with NAV (LCD) units? It appears I'm also the lucky owner of '04 with Kenwood NAV.

As of now we know that BlueSaab works on '06 9-5s with the Denso NAV and '04 9-5s with Kenwood NAV. It seems that the thing that matters is that you have a CDC changer hookup option in your trunk. If that's the case, BlueSaab should work.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

Sandwer
Did I miss something about the kenwood unit?

Rich

I "think" we had a guy with Kenwood unit who opted to try BlueSaab and reported back that everything works. I'll double check.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

Sandwer
It's a physically different connector (proper kenwood din plug) on the cd changer, so you can't plug in a bluesaab unit. The CDC protocols are different (the head unit doesn't care about conversing with it synchronously like the pioneer/Saab unit) -  and the only canbus interactions between the car and head unit is a translator for the steering controls and the lighting. It's a weird choice for Saab, probably a stopgap while they specced the inferior denso system - completely open, isn't even married to the car....

I asked the question because I had a look at how to map the CDC calls to kenwood calls, and how the hardware/software could be modified but decided that the kenwood accessory plug in units probably did everything better than I could, so I have an iPod and a Keg (hardware flac/MP3 player) instead.

Rich
sbt

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

sbt
Karlis,

I think there's a typo on the steering wheel controls as described for the 9-3; the "SRC+" and "SRC-" buttons are marked "SEEK >>" and "SEEK <<" on the left of the wheel, and there is a separate "SRC" button on the right, above the "VOL" plus and minus buttons.

As in:
Saab 9-3 steering wheel controls

For completeness, I note the "SEEK" buttons on the IHU don't have + and -, either, but "<<" and ">>":

Saab 9-3 IHU buttons for CDC

Cheers,
Sam.
9³ 5D MY02 - Stålgrå, AS3; iOS 16.1; BlueSaab v5.0-p1+Amp v1.1, SAAB-CDC v4.1 with mods

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

Karlis
Administrator
Yes, you are absolutely right. :)
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)
sbt

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

sbt
Karlis,

Thanks for confirming this. I've gone through and tested all the button functions and noticed that the 9-3's IHU "<<SEEK" and "SEEK>>" buttons work same as the steering wheel controls, and this appears to be the same as the 9-5.

I've updated the wiki entry on Using the BlueSaab.

Also at this stage there seems to be an issue with setting the RN52 to non-discoverable via long presses on "3" or "<<SEEK", so I'd suggest people don't try this for now. See this Github issue on your repo.

Cheers,
Sam.
9³ 5D MY02 - Stålgrå, AS3; iOS 16.1; BlueSaab v5.0-p1+Amp v1.1, SAAB-CDC v4.1 with mods

Re: Functions currently supported by the software

Seth
Administrator
I thought this issue was fixed in the latest release......?
NC, USA