9-5 CD Changer Harness

Viggen
Hi all,

I haven't been logged into here for a bit simply because my Bluesaab was working so well

And I apologize as a similar question to this has been asked but didn't find the exact answer I was looking for... Anyway, I just bought a 9-5 to replace my Viggen and it is unfortunately not prewired for the CD changer so I can't swap over my Bluesaab kit. I ordered one of the harnesses from eeuro but it appears to be backordered for quite some time and searching around on ebay hasn't yielded much of anything.

Is it possible to instead rewire the connector to the back of the head unit instead of connecting to the trunk, or are the wires running through other parts of the car? I was thinking of running to a junkyard this weekend and grabbing the 3 connector harness that is behind the radio and then just running wires over into the glovebox to mount the Bluesaab. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness

HenrikD
That works too (this is how I connected mine, with the bluesaab behind the radio). I opted to try and solder the wires for the bluesaab module to the ISO connectors (you basically need the top connector that has the cd changer inputs and the I-bus green/white, and you need power from the lowest ISO connector.

The trying part, means that it did not become the prettiest install, so would prob recommend to get a ISO male to ISO female and splice the 8 wires in between the male/female

You could also just use 8 quick splice connectors on the cars cable harness and use a plug from this to the Bluesaab  module. I will try to remember to take a picture next time I need to take out the little thing.

BR,
Henrik
2003 Saab OG9-3 2.0T
Denmark

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness

Seth
You're free to connect anywhere you want to, as long as you get the 8 wires. Afaik, saabaux and the audiotroll both connect behind the ihu. I just never had the connectors, and a Y cable; the CDC connector was much easier to get to. Plus, there's not much room behind the ihu.
NC, USA

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness

Viggen
Good to hear, thanks!

I had one of the early versions of the audiotroll and it did indeed connect that way which is what gave me the idea. Assuming there are actually any Saabs in the junkyard I think I will grab the radio connectors as well as the hardwired connector from a 9-3 and decide if it would be easier to just make my own harness for the trunk or if the behind the radio route would be easier.

I'll be sure to update this thread in case anyone in the future is curious...

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness

Viggen
OK so does anyone happen to have a copy of WIS that could tell me the wiring pinout for the 2 chassis connectors in a 9-5? I've searched around and see a lot of generic diagrams for the radio but nothing really for the chassis that the OEM connector replaces.

I was pretty successful in my trip to the junkyard, I grabbed the CD changer connector from a 9-3 as well as a 10-pin Saab connector from the engine bay, I figure I will extend the CD changer side and then just remove the pins from the body and install the big connector, I just need to figure out how its wired on the body

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness

Karlis
Administrator
Technically all you need is that wiring harness with a separate GND wire. The other wire should already be there with the connector located above left rear arch.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness

Viggen
Well I was hoping to find the OEM harness to mount properly but I had no luck finding any 9-5s that had the changer back there so I was hoping to reproduce this:

To do that I cut the connector out of a 9-3 (and a random stray ground wire) but it doesn't have the connectors that fit the 9-5 body harness. So I was hoping to solder the 9-3 connector to the male portion of the 10-pin connector I grabbed and replace the 2 plugs on the 9-5 with the female portion.

I haven't started taking apart my wagon yet, but it sure would be nice if Saab kept the same colors for the 2 plugs in the body harness

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness

Viggen
I lucked out and someone over on saabcentral found the pinout for the 2 body connectors, so here it is in case anyone else ever needs it over here:

6 pole connector:
pin 1 BK radiopin 20
pin 2 RD/WH radio pin 25
pin 3 RD +30 voltage (dash fuse 9)
pin 4 BN radio pin 21
pin 5 BU/WH radio pin 26

2 pole connector (I-BUS):
pin 1 WH radio pin 17
pin 2 GN radio pin 18

This is what my harness ended up looking like, not bad for $5 in junkyard parts but sane people should probably just wait for the backordered OEM harness.

After a brief scare where the car wouldn't start due to mixed CAN wires and/or a dying battery, we have bluetooth back!

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness

Seth
Administrator
THANK YOU for that information! I did a bunch of research myself and never could find the pinout for these stupid connectors :)

Glad you're up and running!

If you don't mind, I might make a schematic out of that info...
NC, USA

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness

Viggen
No problem!

Yeah I googled every combination of 'saab radio cd changer harness connector' etc, anything I could think of but never found it mentioned anywhere. I made a little word document with the pinout and what the function was, it may or may not help since it references off the 10-pin connector I used but I can share it with you if it'd be any help...

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness Schematic

Seth
Administrator
Here's the schematic of the adapter harness for anyone who needs it!

NC, USA

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness Schematic

Seth
Administrator
After looking at the WIS again, I don't think pin 4 is used; this is the updated schematic...

NC, USA
EdT

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness Schematic

EdT
I have to make up my own cable as they are not available. (Orio is blowing out its last few CD changers are low prices, however they don't come with the adapter harness which my car needs.)

According to my WIS, it's pin 6 that isn't used on the 6 pin connector 355ha on the car. I guess the truth is when I pull the side panel (my car is a wagon) and look. So it would seem that the first version of the wiring schematic is the correct one.

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness Schematic

Seth
Administrator
Ok, well I have the long harness from Saab I’m selling if that would help you from making one from scratch.

$25 to USA
$35 to everywhere else

Yes, you’ll know which pin isn’t used when you see the connector.

Are you actually going to use a factory cd changer? I’m not sure how well it will work; I took one part years ago and the shock mounts inside had degraded and fell apart, so it would have skipped any time I hit a pebble on the road...

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:20 EdT [via BlueSaab Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have to make up my own cable as they are not available. (Orio is blowing out its last few CD changers are low prices, however they don't come with the adapter harness which my car needs.)

According to my WIS, it's pin 6 that isn't used on the 6 pin connector 355ha on the car. I guess the truth is when I pull the side panel (my car is a wagon) and look. So it would seem that the first version of the wiring schematic is the correct one.

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/9-5-CD-Changer-Harness-tp693p1420.html
To start a new topic under Hardware, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Hardware, click here.
NAML
NC, USA
EdT

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness Schematic

EdT
I'd be tempted to get a pre-made harness but I'm in Canada and payment and shipping over the border is problematic.

I just purchased a brand new from Orio  CD changer. I assume it will work perfectly. I also assume that there's a warranty if it doesn't.

CD changers are also hard to find in Canada. But I've had enough of trying to juggle CDs while driving.

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness Schematic

Seth
Administrator
Ok, and you’re aware that you’ll need to marry the cd changer to your vehicle, right? Anyone with a tech2 can do it. If the cd changer had ever been installed in another vehicle, you’ll need that car’s vin to divorce the unit before you can marry it to your car’s vin.

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/9-5-CD-Changer-Harness-tp693p1424.html
NC, USA
EdT

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness Schematic

EdT
I assume that a brand-new CD changer arrives ready to marry. The CD cartridge is in a nice plastic bag too.

Yes, I have access to a Tech II. My radio divorces itself every time the power gets interrupted even for a minute. I also have another radio in which I fixed the bent cassette mechanism (due to a cassette being extracted forcefully I guess). I'd like to see how that works. The buttons on that unit are in perfect shape.

Re: 9-5 CD Changer Harness Schematic

Karlis
Administrator
Brand new CD chargers should come "divorced" out of the box. When connecting to a car, Tech2 is needed to "marry" CD changer to the car. Not going too much in the details, during the "marriage" process, Tech2 acts as a fixer, basically saying "hey, car, give me your VIN". "CD changer here's the VIN of the car, please store it responsibly". CD changer then stores the VIN in its flash and changes its status message (the one it sends out every second to broadcast its presence) to say "ok, I'm still here, I belong (I'm married) to this car and everything's fine on my end".
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)