Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

bonecollector
Hi guys, I just figured out I do not have that common 12-pin socket in my trunk as my CD changer (kenwood kdc-c667) is connected through this 13-pin round cable. So I'll connect my BlueSaab using that cable - hope it'll work cause no one in the forum here confirmed that.

Anyway, could you help me with the pinout of that 13-pin cable? How to connect it correctly?

Best!
m.

Re: Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

Seth
Administrator
What model/year car do you have? I have a feeling bluesaab won’t work for your head unit...

On Mon, Aug 5, 2019 at 16:20 bonecollector [via BlueSaab Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys, I just figured out I do not have that common 12-pin socket in my trunk as my CD changer (kenwood kdc-c667) is connected through this 13-pin round cable. So I'll connect my BlueSaab using that cable - hope it'll work cause no one in the forum here confirmed that.

Anyway, could you help me with the pinout of that 13-pin cable? How to connect it correctly?

Best!
m.

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/Connecting-to-13-pin-CD-changer-cable-tp1480.html
To start a new topic under Hardware, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Hardware, click here.
NAML
NC, USA

Re: Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

bonecollector
It's 2004 9-5 2.3t ARC sedan (185HP)

Re: Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

Karlis
Administrator
The problem with Kenwood CD changers is that we never had a chance to get our hands on one of these. I suspect Kenwood (in contrast to Pioneer) uses a slightly different communications protocol with head unit. Having said this, I would seriously doubt SAAB deliberately implemented and supported two different versions of firmware on their cars just to support these two types of CD changers. It would not make sense to me. Then again it's SAAB in its quirkiness...
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

bonecollector
Ah, I didn't think that it might be so complicated and my Bluesaab device is almost ready.

What would you suggest to me? I'd like to connect it somehow to check if it's working. Could you advise how to?

Re: Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

bonecollector
Guys, what would you suggest?

Re: Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

Seth
Administrator
We haven’t done any testing or anything with that connector...so at this point it’s gonna be up to you what you want to do.

Worst case, you build a bluesaab module and can’t use it, then sell it.

There are other options for getting audio into the head unit, such as fm transmitters; if you go that route, get one that essentially disconnects the Fm antenna and then broadcasts its own signal so that it won’t pickup any local fm stations (other than the unit itself). Those are the best ones in my opinion.

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 02:23 bonecollector [via BlueSaab Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guys, what would you suggest?

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/Connecting-to-13-pin-CD-changer-cable-tp1480p1485.html
NAML
NC, USA

Re: Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

bonecollector
Thanks Seth. I want to try to connect it, but the question is how :-)

I found pinout of that cable (I think so) https://pinoutguide.com/CarAudio/kenwood_cd_changer_pinout.shtml - could you help me with matching the pins with standard 12-pin connector?

Here's the problem. BlueSaab is designed to work on a two wire SAAB I-bus (CAN network). That uses two lines CAN-H and CAN-L for data transfer between CD changer and the rest of the I-bus on the car. In case of Kenwood (at least if I'm reading it right) there's a single pin for every action CD changer can do and a clock (control) pin. Long story short, there's no easy way of "translating" 12-pin CD changer connector communications to this 13-pin connector unless there's some sort of "translator" box that's in between.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

bonecollector
OK

Do you think I could just get that cable http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/LONG-CD-Changer-Adapter-Harnesses-for-sale-td1132.html and get it connected straight to the head unit? Or there is some sort of another device between the head unit and the CD changer in a standard connection you guys have?

I really doubt your head unit has the wiring for this cable harness. You would have to take out the head unit and follow the CD changer wire to see if it fits or not.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Connecting to 13-pin CD changer cable

bonecollector
OK, I'll do that, cause I see that might be my only option :-)