Workbench radio/SID test set-up

MidnightBlue
Hi all,

To try some hardware modifications in my 9-3 head unit (1999) it would be very convenient to have a kind of a workbench test set-up with a radio unit, SID, power supply and speakers that you can work on without each time having to test the final set-up in a car.

Did not try it yet but because of the required marriage to the car VIN, I assume the radio unit and SID (either married or unmarried) will not work when not connected in the car.

I guess with developing & testing the BlueSaab unit such test set-up would be very helpful as well so does anyone of you have that working / can give more details how to make it ?

Re: Workbench radio/SID test set-up

Karlis
Administrator
If these units are from the same car, it should work to an extent. Make sure you terminate the CAN bus on both ends with a 120Ohm resistor and you should be good to go. I used a SID/IHU/CDC combination in early stages of custom SID text feature development.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Workbench radio/SID test set-up

MidnightBlue
Thanks and good to know it can work but the set-up is not fully clear for me.
* Do you mean the SID/IHU/CDC need to have a marriage to the same VIN (so from same car) to work together even if they are not connected to the car ?
* Can they also work outside a car if they have been unmarried from a certain car ?
* Should the CAN termination resistor be placed between the CAN-H and CAN-L wires or should each wire be terminated to GND ?

Re: Workbench radio/SID test set-up

Karlis
Administrator
MidnightBlue wrote
Thanks and good to know it can work but the set-up is not fully clear for me.
* Do you mean the SID/IHU/CDC need to have a marriage to the same VIN (so from same car) to work together even if they are not connected to the car ?
- Preferably they should be from the same car so they broadcast "married" security bytes
MidnightBlue wrote
* Can they also work outside a car if they have been unmarried from a certain car ?
- If a node has been "unmarried" from a car, it sends out "I don't belong to anyone" security byte, so it won't work
MidnightBlue wrote
* Should the CAN termination resistor be placed between the CAN-H and CAN-L wires or should each wire be terminated to GND ?
CAN termination resistors should be put on both ends of the bus between CAN-H and CAN-L wires

Hope this helps
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Workbench radio/SID test set-up

homerisback
Very interresting topic !
A thought that just popped up : If you gather units (IHU, SID) from various cars, could it be possible to marry them with Tech2 to one's car instead of original units then use them as workbench ?

@Karlis : you mean that only IHU and SID (assuming married) fitted with 120 ohm resistors on CAN would work standalone ? Is it enough to set up a workbench ? Thanks for sharing
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: Workbench radio/SID test set-up

Seth
Administrator
That might be possible but remember, the ihu will have to be properly divorced before you can marry it to a new vehicle. (Sid isn't married, it will work regardless)
NC, USA