V6.1 assembly progress

1S2A1B

I've got the board populated, just waiting on the connector. Take a look and let me know if you spot any mistakes. Being new to the project the empty spots were concerning but I suspect they're remains from previous iterations. This was my first smd project, not so tough once you get into the rhythm for the lil guys.

I messed up with the ARM chip. I soldered a corner to hold it in place, but it was a little misaligned. Spent a while trying to wick and suck and pry it back up, or scoot it over, but just soldered more pins in the process. It was basically off by 1 pin in one direction. So I ripped each pin on 2 sides back up, and carefully bent it over to where it should be. There was a lot of cursing. You can see it in the photo, it looks like it's a camera angle but it's straight on. No big surprise if I've killed it, but I'm optimistic.

I appreciate the hard work you guys have put into this. Looking forward to powering it up.
2001 9-3 base

Re: V6.1 assembly progress

Seth
Administrator
If you don’t populate R6-9 and R21-24, you probably won’t have any sound.

Other than that, it looks good 👍🏻

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 00:04 1S2A1B [via BlueSaab Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/V6-1-assembly-progress-tp1570.html
To start a new topic under Hardware, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Hardware, click here.
NAML
NC, USA

Re: V6.1 assembly progress

1S2A1B
Well I'm glad I asked, that's what I was afraid of. Double checked, they are in your Digikey BOM, which I used, but I managed to exclude them from my order. Now for decisions. I could:

-place an order for 8 resistors
-order the whole BOM again, plus 8 resistors, and build another
-buy a sample book of smd parts
-attempt to substitute 8 thru-hole parts that I have on hand

I'm leaning towards the last option. I'll report my results :)
2001 9-3 base

Re: V6.1 assembly progress

Seth
Administrator
Those 8 parts you missed are for the amplifier, so you need to stick to the proper values, but you could probably sub diff size (ie 0603) and prob different percentages.

R6-9 are the output resistors, you could prob sub lower values and might get higher output volume but 100R was the recommendation from the data sheet for the chip.

R21-24 I think are the amplifier setting resistors, so those prob need to be 2k; you could try something close, like 2.2k or 1.8k.

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/V6-1-assembly-progress-tp1570p1572.html
To start a new topic under Hardware, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Hardware, click here.
NAML
NC, USA

Re: V6.1 assembly progress

1S2A1B
Thanks Seth! I considered aiming for the correct resistance by ganging stripey resistors in series and parallel. It would have been beautiful. Instead I've ordered a kit of 0805 resistors on Amazon. Had to hunt around for an assortment that included 2k, but it's $11 for 1,000 with 1 day shipping.

FYI, the DigiKey BOM includes 4 each of the 2K and 100R. Right now the price for 10 is exactly the same as the price for 4 ($0.40). Not a big deal, but free spares never hurt.

Do you think there is any harm in moving on to flashing firmware and attempting bt connection without these resistors in place?
2001 9-3 base

Re: V6.1 assembly progress

Seth
Administrator
No harm, you just won’t get any sound out of it until those resistors are in place.

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/V6-1-assembly-progress-tp1570p1574.html