V5 & AMP on one board

sbt

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

sbt
Karlis wrote
With "automotive" I as thinking of a two-in-one solution for uC and CAN controller. So there's only one chip that does both. We could retire MCP2515 in that case and save tons of space by doing so.

I would agree that by definition it means better tolerances to heat, humidity, vibrations and whatnot, but my idea was more of a 2:1 solution. :)
Karlis, sure, but I was only addressing the comment with respect to the price differences amongst ATMEGA328Ps. But I note that the 2 in 1 μCs I've seen seem to have higher pin counts and greater footprints (and also smaller legs for soldering). I'm not sure how much real-estate you'd save.

Not trying to be a negative nelly, but I think there's more benefit in focusing on the software for the current platform; there's a development and support cost from forks in the code if the μC is changed, in exchange for no significant functional win from changing it that I can see. The main benefit of returning to a single PCB has been achieved, thanks to Antoine and Seth.

It's yet to be established whether we can master the track info functions via the current serial connection to the RN52 and the other wrinkles with the SID display functions. I'd suggest holding off further hardware changes unless and until an actual issue is found that software can't solve. There's a possibility that adding a second hardware UART would help, but actually I'd expect just a pin re-assignment on the ATMEGA328P so we could do hardware serial is all that would be required, if anything.

I've excluded software updates via Bluetooth from this as I can't see any significant PCB wins from adding this support; if you insist the FTDI and UART headers are needed for debugging/recovery etc, we'd never be able to remove them anyway. I doubt BT firmware updates for the μC will be possible in any case, and probably not worth the hassle if there are only 2 or 3 more updates to come before the BlueSaab software is functionally complete. There's also the issue of delivery via app stores, security, signing, etc.

That said, I still think the FTDI 6-pin header is redundant, now that the UPLOAD port is available. What can you do with FTDI you can't do with FTDI via USB?

Cheers,
Sam.
9³ 5D MY02 - Stålgrå, AS3; iOS 16.1; BlueSaab v5.0-p1+Amp v1.1, SAAB-CDC v4.1 with mods

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

homerisback
Built and working tweaked PCB with integrated amplifier
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

Seth
Administrator
Awesome man
NC, USA

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

homerisback
Thanks !
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

MidnightBlue
Hello guys,

Would like to start building a unit but I am a bit confused which latest board version to choose.
The V5.3 with integrated amplifier seems most attractve but I cannot find it yet on OSH park.
Are you planning to release the V5.3, Mouser BOM,  schematics etc. soon or should I still go for the separate amplifier board ?
Also V5.2 I cannot find so would bring me back to V5.1 for which all info is released.
Any advice here if V5.3 is coming soon / best option to choose here ?

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

Seth
Administrator
5.3 was released by homeisback (IIRC). I thought I saw the files available somewhere so you'll have to look around.

5.2 was never released because it was never finished; so homerisback just called his 5.3.

5.1 + amp will serve you just as well as 5.3; they are essentially the same thing, just different form factors.

On Tue, Apr 4, 2017 at 4:14 PM, MidnightBlue [via BlueSaab Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello guys,

Would like to start building a unit but I am a bit confused which latest board version to choose.
The V5.3 with integrated amplifier seems most attractve but I cannot find it yet on OSH park.
Are you planning to release the V5.3, Mouser BOM,  schematics etc. soon or should I still go for the separate amplifier board ?
Also V5.2 I cannot find so would bring me back to V5.1 for which all info is released.
Any advice here if V5.3 is coming soon / best option to choose here ?

http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/V5-AMP-on-one-board-tp972p1063.html
To start a new topic under Hardware, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Hardware, click here.
NAML

NC, USA

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

homerisback
This post was updated on .
Seth is right, I put 5.3 on OSHPark but didn't share it before running some tests. I've been using it since a few weeks and it works perfectly, so I started to share it.
UPDATED
PCB on OSHPark
Eagle board file
Eagle schematics file
Mouser BOM should be correct but as Mouser's BOM/Basket functionality sucks and is always a fight to use, partlist is accurate but part names could be messy :/
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

MidnightBlue
Thanks for sharing !
It was still difficult to find it on OSHPark as the regular search doesn't show it so maybe practical to include the links on the "PCB and SCH files" topic.
Anyway, I found it and ordered the board so looking forward to the Mouser BOM.
Other question: I guess it should work with the latest SW version 4.1 ?

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

Karlis
Administrator
Yes, v4.1 software is compatible with all HW revisions of the module.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

MidnightBlue
Thanks for the confirmation!

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

homerisback
This post was updated on .
Updated information for 5.3 on previous post. Have fun !
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

MidnightBlue
Thanks for completing the BOM!
Found that some parts had long a delivery time (10 - 26 weeks) so figured out some replacements.
Ordered the full set now (and connector) so looking forward to build in a few weeks.

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

homerisback
Yes depending from your Mouser supplier some delivery times are veeeeery long. I had that kind of delays with a voltage regulator... let's go to specs to find a replacement ;)
Happy building and enjoy music !
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

Rasmus
Hello,

I would like to build the latest version of the BlueSaab Aux Module. If I got it right, it must be the version 5.3.1 published by homerisback.
Unfortunately the hyperlink to the "Eagle board file" is dead and more over that the board file (5.3.1) from OSHPark differs in the version number to the linked "*.sch" file (5.4).

So my question is, which is the latest version?

homerisback wrote
UPDATED
PCB on OSHPark
Eagle board file
Eagle schematics file
Mouser BOM
Off-topic:
You guys are doing an awesome job! I already used the "non-bluetooth" version now for more than two years! But now it's time to upgrade!

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

Karlis
Administrator
The latest version is 5.3.1. This Nabble forum somehow screws up the links.

Link to OSHPark: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/DFqxb2Vi
BOM: https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=43ad2e34ba
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: V5 & AMP on one board

Rasmus
Dear Karlis,

thank you for making things much clearer for me!

Unfortunately the backwardsannotations between the linked Eagle schematics file from Homerisback and the Eagle boardfile from OSHPark are not working.
But I would need them because I would like to give the hole project to a electronic assembly manufacturer so that I musn't solder the small smd parts. Moreover that I think your great job is worth for having a well produced module than having a bad soldered crap!

Hopefully Homerisback is going to revive the hyperlink!

Thank you! And thanks in advance to Homerisback!
12