Some additional features...

leva3000
Hi All,

Reading comment from this post I am notice that module still alive after ignition off. So maybe it is a good chance to add some great features like completely close all windows after the car is locked (after 5 minutes for example)?  Karlis, please, confitm if it is real to do.

Re: Some additional features...

leva3000
Another features:
1. Ventilation mode - Open all windows after pressing open button on key three times.
2. Horn signal after 10 seconds after closing of some doors or trunk is opened.

Re: Some additional features...

leva3000
If windows cannot be controlled by CAN, we can request SID beep sound with message for trunk, windows, or doors except drivers door. More information here.

Re: Some additional features...

Karlis
Administrator
I believe all of this is doable since we already have a "foot in the door" (CAN bus). Just a matter of updating software. The key manipulation might turn out to be tricky as we need to "bypass/intercept" the security code exchange between the key and transponder and act as a man in the middle... Again, nothing undoable (famous last words) :).
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)
Ziq

Re: Some additional features...

Ziq
I suspect things like controlling windows or locks run on a LIN-bus and not on CAN. I doubt we have access to many actuators bust mostly information since we are on the infotainment bus..
Saab 9-5 2005 Nav
Building my own project based on mbed LPC1768 + RN52

Re: Some additional features...

leva3000
This post was updated on .
I found this project. Can it work with Saab? https://github.com/zapta/linbus/tree/master/

Re: Some additional features...

leva3000
It looks like  there is no LIN bus in old saab's (like mine '04). Is it true?

Re: Some additional features...

Seth
Administrator
i've never heard of LINbus; I would assume it's for a different make/model car.

What kind of '04 vehicle do you have? 9-5? This project won't work with a 9-3 past 2002 (or '03 convertible).
NC, USA

Re: Some additional features...

aaronbguerrero
The windows are only controlled via the switches. It looks like the operate the old fashioned way, switch engages, which sends current to motor and the motor spins.

Take a look at this:Window_Lift_Circuit_Diagram.pdf

Re: Some additional features...

homerisback
As I was driving today, I thought "As we have a foot in the door on CAN bus" couldn't we implement a turning lights feature to make them blink 3, 4 or 5 times like newer cars do on a short use of turn indicator stick ?
I think it is doable, as it is possible to activate these with Tech 2... would it be hard to do it ?
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

I think there's actually a LOT of cool features we could eventually implement...if we could figure out how to do it and not break anything
NC, USA

As we can send those commands with a Tech 2 maybe we could sniff the frames issued over CAN

Like Seth said, we could do a LOT of things now that we can send our own messages. It's just a matter of getting a working Tech2 tool and sniffing it. I have a Chinese clone with software version 148.000 but haven't been able to get it to work with my car. It just doesn't connect to it and always shows a message "Failed to connect to DICE" or something like that. So I've given up on this front for now...
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Some additional features...

homerisback
Ok, I have a chinese clone also but mine works fine with french 146.000 version.
How could I sniff CAN messages assuming I have a working BlueSAAB module, an Arduino Uno genuine board, a USB-FTDI 3.3V cable ?
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: Some additional features...

Karlis
Administrator
The way I understand it, the Tech2 tool (when connected) sends a specific CAN frame to DICE, TWICE and what not, saying something like "ok, guys, I'm Tech2, I'm your master and from now on (till I disconnect) you are going to be in maintenance mode and will report directly to me). All of the cars components comply with this message and turn on the "three amigos" - ABS, TCS and the 'magic' alert triangle sign in the dashboard.

So in order to sniff what's going on during those comms, we need to intercept that 'master diagnostics' frame and 'learn' it so we can continue listening on what the frames with that particular CAN frame ID are sending/receiving. Given the fact that CAN bus is a broadcast network, I believe it should be ok with just uploading the 'Sniffer' code onto BlueSaab module and just sit and listen to everything that's happening while Tech2 does it's job. Then filter out Tech2 specific messages and then take it from there.

My Chinese clone Tech2 doesn't even get to the point of invoking the "three amigos". Don't know why. Maybe some day I'll just have to look what's happening on the wire with a logic analyzer or something. Anyway...
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Some additional features...

homerisback
Ok I see the process when Tech 2 is hooked. I'll give a try with the sniffing code uploaded and let you know if I get anything interesting ;)

Back to chinese manufacturing of Tech 2, I disassembled mine including the VCI to see that 'manual' solderings (i.e. mostly for connectors) sucks. I resolder most of them and replaced the very poor quality power supply to increase reliability of the whole thing. I used a Tracopower THN 15-1211
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: Some additional features...

Timpa
homerisback wrote
As I was driving today, I thought "As we have a foot in the door on CAN bus" couldn't we implement a turning lights feature to make them blink 3, 4 or 5 times like newer cars do on a short use of turn indicator stick ?
I think it is doable, as it is possible to activate these with Tech 2... would it be hard to do it ?
I made it with a Arduino Uno Board and some external "analog" components.
Haven't put it into the car and I think now when I can use the Canbus it's easier with that.
http://saab9000vector.blogspot.se/2017/01/komfort-blinkers-eller-3-blink-automatik.html  (use google translate if you don't speak the world leading langu....)

Re: Some additional features...

homerisback
Nice work, I'll have a look at it when having time :)
Thanks !
01' 9.3 SE Conv - AS3 - Nexus 5 Android M 6.0.1 - BlueSaab v4.2 + Amp - Latest CDC repo.

Re: Some additional features...

Timpa
I've just tried to push out some turning signals to 4A0 but
It just activated the instrumentpanel turning signals not any external light bulbs

Re: Some additional features...

saab95
I my opinion any extra features that does not relate to "the speaker system" should be opt-in for the user or maybe forked as an external project. My worries is safety/security issues with messing with other stuff on the can bus. (law of unintended consequences...)