Soldering and alternative version.

HenrikD
Hi guys,

Having spent countless hours on figuring out that my soldering skills are not what they should be, I finally managed to get my board programmed (both the RN52 and 328). I had to start on my second board, since the first one "almost" worked; could just not get the RN52 to respond to any commmands (turned out to be the RX pin shorted to GND, which after more soldering ended in the 3.3V and GND shorted:-( )

Starting my next board hoping not to screw up this one, i also saw the new v4.1 and thought about having less soldering to do. I then tried to make a board layout with an Arduino Nano to replace the voltage regulator, half the leds and the FTDI, USB, ICSP and 328. Since my module will be but behind the radio or ash tray connected to the ISO C connector on the radio I shrunk the board a bit and was actually planning on ditching the Saab cd-connector entirely, but left it there for now. I also added a pin out for the microphone pins, in case some other circuitry is needed to get this working (thinking I could always solder a daughter board to the pin out)

I have attached the eagle files, so feel free to have a look, comment and adapt whatever you like:-)

Bluesaab_RN52_Nano_v1.sch
Bluesaab_RN52_Nano_v1.brd

Let me know what you guys think and if you spot any obvious errors (I always assume that I have made some;-) )

Kind regards,

Henrik
2003 Saab OG9-3 2.0T
Denmark

Re: Soldering and alternative version.

HenrikD
Components would be "roughly" the mouser list here;
https://eu.mouser.com/ProjectManager/ProjectDetail.aspx?AccessID=F0C086E86E

Plus of course the PCB and a Nano.

/Henrik
2003 Saab OG9-3 2.0T
Denmark

Re: Soldering and alternative version.

HenrikD
Having spent a bit more time on this, turns out to be a pretty bad idea; the Nano is 5V and 3.3V is only available from the FDTI chip (that way one learns to read the specs first).

On the up side, I got my v3.3 board finished and installed and now have nice bluetooth music in the car. Also managed to get most of the components salvaged from the first board using a heat gun. Still to see how many of them now works...

Cheers,
Henrik
2003 Saab OG9-3 2.0T
Denmark

Re: Soldering and alternative version.

Seth
Administrator
all you need to do is put a 3.3 vreg between the nano and the rest of the circuit...should work :)
NC, USA