Presentation

Da Bear
Hello from Sweden!

Found your blog a month ago and registered to the forum a few days ago.
First of all, great work! I cannot wait until it's fully working. :)

Unfortunately I Suck at writing software, but building the hardware myself is no problem, so I'm going to order all parts needed ASAP so I can contribute with testing the software.

As I understand it;
Streaming sound from phone works.
Steering wheel buttons work.
Handsfree does Not work? Problem with OnStar microphone?

AFAIK we don't have OnStar in Sweden.  I have the ordinary TEL2 (?) Handsfree in my car. Just the standard microphone, and I think it works like any mic. It works with my SE HCB 700 without any problem.
So I wonder if it's hardware or software related?

Anyways, again - great work. I will buy you guys a beer when I can ;)

And last but not least, my car: Saab 9-5 Aero 2001. AS3 HK soundsystem.

/Björn
Saab 9-5 Aero MY01 AS3 - 270hp/240hp Biopower
Saab 9-5 SE    MY00 AS1 - 210hp+

Re: Presentation

Karlis
Administrator
Hi Björn!

Welcome to "the club"! :) Yeah, all of the features you mentioned on your post (bluetooth pairing, streaming of audio and steering wheel controls) work. From what I've seen both OnStar (in US) and optional handsfree systems (global) use the same microphone that is built in the ceiling besides the rear view mirror. We're yet to determine if the cause of poor performance of the mic is because of software (RN52 settings?) or some additional hardware changes are needed.

And thanks for offering to test the module! We need testers all over the world as there are differences between SAABs made for different markets. :)
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Presentation

Da Bear
Thanks! :)

Is the problem independent of how the mic is wired for low or high output? Have not seen anyone mention that.

Quote from http://www.kolumbus.fi/richard.bevan/saab/saab95/phones.html
"The quality of the factory microphone in my car was really bad - noone could understand a word I said. So I opened up the roof console and replaced the factory microphone with the one from the Nokia hands free kit. If you do have problems with the factory microphone then it has a high and low output - Pin1=high output. Pin2=low output. Pin3=ground. Switch the pins around in the connector if you want to try and improve the sound."

When I got my car the HF was wired with the SE mic and sounded crap. I switched to the built in mic - still crap. Then switched pin 1 to position 2 and, woala! Perfect.

Just a thought ;)

/Björn
Saab 9-5 Aero MY01 AS3 - 270hp/240hp Biopower
Saab 9-5 SE    MY00 AS1 - 210hp+

Re: Presentation

Karlis
Administrator
We've tried both High and Low impedance combinations and still bad sound quality. Sounds like someone is speaking in a room full of morse code machines sending their beeps (in my case). Sometimes I think that microphone was the only part GM guys did on SAABs. :)

Anyway, first we would need to rule out the fact that the bad sound quality is not because of the our module hardware or software.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Presentation

Da Bear
Okej,  good you tried that :)

Did some quick searching and many seem to have problems with microphones and RN52 :(

Bad documentation but gain should be able to be adjusted in the RN52. You have probably already did some research but a link for anyone else that maybe have some skills can figure something out :)
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m/tm.aspx?m=843896&p=1

/Björn
Saab 9-5 Aero MY01 AS3 - 270hp/240hp Biopower
Saab 9-5 SE    MY00 AS1 - 210hp+

Re: Presentation

HenrikD
Hello from Denmark,

I'm Henrik, and own a 2003 Saab 9-3 (still the OG version).

I have actually been following the blog for the last 2 years. My idea was to use a Teensy 3.1 with its build in can controller and place the module behind the radio using the connectors there (I liked the idea of using the module to also do phone functionality, without having to pull the mike signal to the rear of the car)

I had also a though about building the module with a dual purpose, to load a different software set on connect to the P-bus to do trionic programming (ala the just4trionic project does with the mbed platform)

Love this type of project, and am very impressed with the progress you have been making (I found this one before your, and I don't think he ever made it http://saab95x.my69chevelle.com/ )

Kind regards,
Henrik
2003 Saab OG9-3 2.0T
Denmark

Re: Presentation

Seth
Administrator
Hi Henrik,

Yes, I've thought about using a Teensy 3.1 also since it has built in CAN support, it's just something I haven't worked on yet.

It's not a bad idea to install such a module inside the radio, but would have to be careful about the wiring; I fried (literally) a radio by having a wire chafe when I had a really old aux in mod done.

Stick around the forum, feedback is welcome :)
Seth
NC, USA