Installing BlueSAAB module in cars without CDC provisioning cable

Installing BlueSAAB module in cars without CDC provisioning cable

Madsaab
Hello everyone. I just wanted to post my experiences with an alternative placement of the BlueSAAB module.

I originally built my BlueSAAB V6 module for my 9-5 Sedan MY1999, and it worked perfectly.
Car is deregistered at the moment for some serious rust repairs. My mother had a 9-5 Estate MY2000, but she's retired and have'n been driving at all during this lockdown that we're still going trough. So around the end of last year I "enherited" her 9-5 and this is my daily driver at the moment.

This was supposed to be temporary so I didn't look further into installing the BlueSAAB. However, I have now been using this car for several months and I decided to install the module. I knew that the car didn't have the CDC cable from factory, so I ordered the parts on AliExpress so that I could make a few cables.
I received the last parts a few weeks ago, and recently I decided to build the cable.

I used mainly this tread for help: http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/9-5-CD-Changer-Harness-td693.html and also this tread for part numbers for the connectors http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/DIY-SAAB-CD-Changer-Connector-Harness-td1496.html

Here is my home-fabricated CDC cable:

Regarding the non-installed 2-pin connector, I'll explain later.

I then removed all the trim from the left side of the luggage compartment to install the cable, but only to find that my car didn't have the provisioning installed. I checked EPC and can see that my cars VIN is around 1000 too low.
There is a provisioning kit available, but I wasn't going to take the car half apart to route this cable to the luggage compartment.
Luckily, the plugs for the provisioning kit are almost the same as for the small "normal" CDC cable. These connectors are located in the footwell by the left hand A-pillar.
However, the 2-pin connector is different and the 6-pin connector is slightly differently pinned out. There is an error in WIS for the "component location" page, but in the wiring diagram, it matches what was in my car.
For the 2-pin plug, I simply removed the pins and used electrical tape to prevent any shorts and to hold the connectors together.
Here is the 2-pin location and the corrected 6-pin pinout for my car:

Here is where I found the two connectors located in the drivers (LH) footwell:

The 6-pin connector was held in place with cloth-sticky tape which I cut of with a knife. The 2-pin connector was held to the main harness with electrical tape and could easily be pushed out.

Here is the loose pins plugged into the 2-pin connector and secured with electrical tape:

BlueSAAB module mounted and tested before final installation:

Ground wire (purple) was installed to a 6mm stud behind the galvanized bracket in the doorsill on the picture.

Finally the module is placed above the pedals and secured with a ziptie.

It fits perfectly with no snagging, even pressing the clutch pedal.

I honestly might prefer this placement compared to having the module behind the trim in the luggage compartment. To gain access here, I just need to remove 3 screws and remove the plastic panel above the pedals. Then I can cut the ziptie and remove the module if necessary.

This is how I did it. Hopefully it will be of help to someone.

Best regards, Mads
MY99 9-5SE V6t aut

Re: Installing BlueSAAB module in cars without CDC provisioning cable

4pplet
Thanks for this!
sbt

Re: Installing BlueSAAB module in cars without CDC provisioning cable

sbt
Madsaab wrote
However, the 2-pin connector is different and the 6-pin connector is slightly differently pinned out. There is an error in WIS for the "component location" page, but in the wiring diagram, it matches what was in my car.
The WIS for MY2000 matches the revised harness from chassis Y3065548-- with connectors at the rear wheel arch. Refer to WIS for MY1999 for pre-revision wiring/pinouts where connectors are at the A-pillar.

Madsaab wrote
For the 2-pin plug, I simply removed the pins and used electrical tape to prevent any shorts and to hold the connectors together.
The matching tab housing for the 2-way CAN-bus plug (355hb) is Saab P/N 41 17 164 / 12 795 968, if you want to replace the tape and put the contacts in a proper housing. Still available from esaabparts, for example.
9³ 5D MY02 - Stålgrå, AS3; iOS 16.1; BlueSaab v5.0-p1+Amp v1.1, SAAB-CDC v4.1 with mods