Best board version for a newbie?

zurano
Hi again,

I was looking for the board versions in OSH and I noticed that they are version up to v4.3

As I am going to buil my first Bluesaab and I have no experience on it, I would like to build the most advance one but at the same time avoiding errors on design (I know that the project is under development and there are no warraties).

Which one version should I order?

Thank you!
Saab 9-5 2.3t SE '98
Spain

Re: Best board version for a newbie?

Seth
Administrator
v4.3 is still in work; I'm still adding small fixes. I would build a v4.2 pcb if you're comfortable doing 90% smd soldering, and code uploading.

if you're not that comfortable, go with a v3.3 pcb; it is more through hole than the v4.x pcbs, and if you need to change uC, it's simple to replace.

Use the latest software from github; it (should be) compatible with all pcbs.
NC, USA

Re: Best board version for a newbie?

zurano
Thank you for your prompt response.

In version 4.2 the code can be uploaded throught usb, right?
Saab 9-5 2.3t SE '98
Spain

yes, but you have to upload a bootloader via the ISP header, first.
NC, USA

Re: Best board version for a newbie?

zurano
Perfect, It will be not a problem (I hope )
Saab 9-5 2.3t SE '98
Spain

Re: Best board version for a newbie?

Karlis
Administrator
If this is your first module that you are building, I would suggest you go with v3.3A. v4.1 and v4.2 have some components (SMD ATmega328, resonators, FTDI chip) that might be really hard to solder for a first timer.

The downside of v3.3A is that it lacks the code upload via USB capability, so you would need a FTDI cable for that. On the good side - on v3.3A the ATmega328 can be easily removed and reprogrammed (bootloader/code uploads) using a Arduino Uno board.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Best board version for a newbie?

zurano
Ooops, I have just ordered the v4.2 from OSH.

I have some experience on PCB soldering (not SMD, but something has to be the first one) so I hope I will succeed.
Saab 9-5 2.3t SE '98
Spain

Re: Best board version for a newbie?

Karlis
Administrator
Ok, no problem, v4.2 it is then. :)

Just take your time, be patient and it will work out well for you!

Good luck! :)
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)