Problems with burning bootloader and applying software

Problems with burning bootloader and applying software

DevilJoe
Hi all,

i assembled a 5.3 Version of the Board (actually 3, but all show the same problem).
On the first i might have burned the chip (not to good at SMD soldering), but i gave away the other two with were sent through a industrial soldering oven. At least those should be ok from the soldering point of view.
i'm using a ATMEGA328P-AN as the one originally in the BOM was not available.

When i connect it to power only the power LED lights up, so from what i know the bootloader is missing.
When trying to change that (Atmel Studio and AVRISP mkII using these instructions : https://startingelectronics.org/tutorials/arduino/arduino-uno-burning-bootloader-avr-studio/) there are multiple outcomes but all do not work:
- only power connected using the 12V in:
no voltage detected on the 3v3 pin of the ISP header, Atmel studio does not detect anything

- supplying power using the FTDI interface (5V):
The TX LED starts to flash, Atmel studio detects voltage but still can't read the device signature or communicate (connection failed on MOSI line, connection failed on clock line)

1. Is it correct that the 3v3 PIN of the ISP does not recieve power when regularly powering the board?
2. And ideas what to look out for to solve my problems.

I hope you can help me.

Best regards
Joe

Re: Problems with burning bootloader and applying software

Seth
Administrator
I don't know anything about Atmel Studio, but the ISP 3v3 pin is for powering the BlueSaab board/chip, and flashing the bootloader to the 328; that pin doesn't provide power "out".

You should verify that when the board is powered (regardless of method), that 3v3 pins have 3.3v, and go from there. Also verify you don't have any opens or shorts anywhere; solder balls are very small.

You can take (clear) pictures and upload them here so we can take a look.

It could also just be a setting with your burning method. Using Arduino software is pretty simple and easy.
NC, USA

Re: Problems with burning bootloader and applying software

DevilJoe
This post was updated on .
Hi,

all other 3.3V pins do have the correct voltage.
Atmel Studio uses the 3v3 Pin to determine if there is voltage on the chip.

But to clarify, to burn the bootloader it is sufficient to supply 3v3 to the ISP header or FTDI?
And should the 3v3 pin have voltage even when powering from the 12V side?

I will try to take some pictures and also use another computer to use the Arduino Software to burn the bootloader.
(When Atmel installs it messes with the AvrISP driver)

Best regards
Joe

Update:
Switching to another computer (no Atmel Studio installed), installing the drivers for AVRISP mkII and the FTDI cable solved all of my problems. Could burn the bootloader and upload the software.
I only have to put it into the case and install it in the car :)

Thank you for the assistance and making the BlueSaab project :)

Re: Problems with burning bootloader and applying software

Karlis
Administrator
Hey Joe,

I'm not "captain Atmel Studio". The way I burn bootloaders is by using this USBtinyISP programmer. It has a switch on it for supplying power to the target, i.e. BlueSaab. That's the only connection needed. The computer that the programmer is connected to won't recognize it as a device (not sure why), but from there on it's just happy trails - open Arduino IDE -> Tools -> Programmer: "USBtinyISP" -> back to Tools -> Burn Bootloader.

Hope this helps.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)