How to prevent power drain when car is off

How to prevent power drain when car is off

Henk909303
When my car is turned completely off I measure a current draw of 70mA caused by the Bluesaab module. Since I do not use my car as much as I used to my battery now goes flat now and then. So I am looking to get rid of this current leakage.

I know some ideas have been floating around as to limiting the power draw from a software point of view, but I am currently looking at a hardware solution.

From the schematics I noticed there is only one power input (12V) currently available at the CD-changer connection, which is always on.

My simple idea for a solution is to not feed this pin from the CD-changer loom, but from any other wire in the area that provides a 12v that switches with the ignition switch. I think the wiring for the tow bar should have one (My car doesn't have a tow bar but I assume the wiring is there). Another option would be one of the wires for the taillights.

The main issue I think there might be is that I can image that as the 12V in the CD-changer loom is intended for audio equipment, it might have filtering applied, which other 12V wires might not. Does anyone know if this would indeed be an issue?

And the other question is; should the Bluesaab module have no issues with being switched off completely?

Are there any other simple solutions I am overlooking? Should I maybe not perform the switch of wiring in the boot, but in the driver's foot well instead? I imagine this might be simpler as this area is easier to access.

Re: How to prevent power drain when car is off

Seth
Administrator
The easiest solution in my mind would be add a switch to the power line near the footwell like you mentioned, so you can easily turn the power off to the cd changer/bluesaab module when you know you won't be back in the car soon.

Or splice that cd changer line to an ignition power wire as also mentioned.

The bluesaab module won't get hurt being turned on and off.
NC, USA

Re: How to prevent power drain when car is off

Henk909303
I found leftover wiring from an aftermarket navigation system in the trunk area that contained a switched 12V lead. So I connected that one to the Bluesaab module. Seems to work fine. Only drawback is I need to manually select CD changer input after stating the car now.