Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Trionic Seven
Hey all.

So I just built my first Bluesaab module v.3.3 and I'm very happy. I finally got it working today!

However, I've noticed a problem that happened twice today. I drive, play music, enjoy life, then park. After an hour I get back out to the car and start it. The head unit makes it usual "beep" after it enters CDC mode, however it then immediately switches to another source. When I try to re-activate CDC, it just won't let me.

It's as if the head unit doesn't think there's a cd changer anymore. No matter how I try to restart the car and head unit it won't come back. Not until I unplug the bluesaab, and plug it back in again do I get the connection back.

Any ideas? 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero.

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Karlis
Administrator
I think I know the reason why. I'll implement some code changes later on today and will post an update. That should fix the "drop out" issue on 9-5s.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Just to double check - you did use the latest code from Github and not the release v3.0, right?
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Trionic Seven
Wow, that's awesome!

Hey, I'm really impatient to start working on the code myself, too. I'll start as soon as I get my own module to work just as it should.

BTW, I think we need a user's guide in pdf form. I'm a LaTeX expert, so I should be able to hack something together.

I just read about long pressing the seek button to make it discoverable, is there a list of other commands somewhere I can use to write the docs? For instance, what does long pressing CD do?

I used the latest code from about 7-10 days ago.

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Karlis
In a true engineering fashion, I really suck at writing documentation :).

I've done some instructions here on this forum. Look for "Functions currently supported by the software" topic and "How-tos/tutorials" section under "Software".

Oh, that makes sense then. I think I messed something up with implementing yet another CD changer status reply that it is "supposed" to send to head unit.
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Trionic Seven
Thanks!

I'll await some new code soon ;)

Hm...the docs at http://bluesaab-forum.2349123.n4.nabble.com/Functions-currently-supported-by-the-software-td123.html don't mention discoverability. I wanted to add my wife's iPhone to the PDL.

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Karlis
Administrator
I should've made it more clear in the instructions. :) Essentially now with the newest Bluetooth handler code, whenever you press and hold the middle of SEEK button on head unit -> one beep -> module becomes discoverable, two beeps -> the module becomes "connectable" (non discoverable, but visible to the last connected device).

The management and handling of PDL is a bit tricky as there's no (as of now) mechanism to tell RN52 to disconnect from the current device and automatically connect to the next one on PDL. But.... There are multiple solutions for any problem given. :) This is on my to-do list (and currently there's a lot). The easiest way is to disconnect from current audio source via head unit buttons and then connect with the other audio source manually. Yes, it is tedious. I'm working on a better solution... :)

2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Trionic Seven
That does sound a little tricky. I'll try to see if I can figure something out.

You have a todo list? Why not create issues on github so we can look on it together? Or send me the list and I'll do the github work ;)

I created my first pull request for the github repo.

I'm actually updating the issues list on Github now as I write this. :)
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Karlis
Administrator
Ok, so here's the deal. The issue is that 9-5's are a bit picky. :) They have way too more comms happening between head unit and CD changer than 9-3's have. A part of these comms is a message that CD changer is supposed to send to head unit with an interval of one second. While doing some recent tests with an original SAAB CD changer I noticed that there are two different messages CD changer is sending to head unit. One while it's doing a "playback" of a CD and another one when it's "idle and not playing anything". I thought that implementing two different "status report" messages would help us to fix an issue we've seen on 9-5's when, though occasionally, switching from Radio mode to CDC mode on head unit, it doesn't properly go into CDC mode straight away (signaled by a "magic beep"). If that's the case, the user has to go back to Radio mode and then back to CDC mode (double press of CD/RDM button) again.

I would suggest that in order to get everything working to a point, you should use the latest release code from Github (https://github.com/kveilands/SAAB-CDC/releases/tag/v3.0). That has not been altered since and has the latest Bluetooth handling code which enables "auto-reconnect" and "auto-play upon reconnect" features.

Good luck and let me know how it goes! :)
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Trionic Seven
Alright, I'll go to the 3.0 release tag and upload that software! Hopefully I can try this later today :)

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Trionic Seven
Seems like the adapter has worked fine today, no dropouts. v3.0 works fine!

Re: Bluesaab 3.3 stops working after parking

Karlis
Administrator
Nice, good news then. Just bare in mind the occasional bug that I mentioned in previous comment. :)
2001 9-5 SE V6; 2006 9-5 Wagon; iOS; BlueSaab version = "latest and greatest" :)